Chana biryani is one of the most popular and mouth-watering recipe. It is also a healthy one-pot meal that is perfect for lunch.
What is chana biryani?
Chana biryani is a rich,aromatic rice dish where by half cooked flavored rice and a gravy as put together and allowed to cook further sealed in a pot over a low flame.
- 1/2 kg Chickpeas (white chana) boiled 1/2 kg
- 1 Medium Onion 1 medium sliced
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste 2 tbsp
- 4 Medium Tomatoes 4 medium
- 1 Cup Yogurt 1 cup
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp Salt according to taste
- 2 tsp Red chili powder 2 tsp
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 Cloves 4
- 2 Black cardamom (badi elaichi) 2
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick (darchini) 2 inch 2
- 2 Star anise (badiyan phool) 2
- 6-7 Dried plums (aloo bukhara) 6-7
- 1 tsp Whole spices powder 1 tsp
- 1/2 Cup Mint leaves (podina) chopped 1/2 cup
- 1/2 Cup Coriander leaves chopped 1/2 cup
- 6-7 Slit green chilies 6-7
- Cooking oil as needed
Boiled Rice ingredient
- 1 kg Rice basmati
- 4 tbsp Salt according to taste
- 2 Bay leaf
Biryani layering ingredients
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Fresh mint leaves chopped
- Food color few drop
- Lemon sliced
- In pot,add oil,onion and fry until golden brown.
- Add ginger,garlic paste,cloves,black cardamom,cinnamon stick,star anise,mix well.
- And then add tomatoes,red chili powder,turmeric powder,salt,cumin powder,coriander powder,whole spices powder,dried plums,beaten yogurt and mix well.cover and cook on medium flame until water are dries up or leaves the sides of the pot.
- Add boiled chana,mint leaves,coriander leaves,slit green chili mix well,cover and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Gravy is ready.
- Boil the rice with half tbsp oil,salt,bay leaf and drain the water off when the rice is 80% done.
Chana Biryani layering
- In a pot,add half layer of boiled rice and spread it add cooked chana gravy and add remaining boiled rice.
- Add food color,lemon slices,coriander leaves,mint leaves, cover and steam cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- You can always use white chickpeas for making this biryani.
- You can always use basmati rice.