Shahi Zarda is a traditional sweet rice dessert .The word came from the persian work Zarda,which means yellow.Zarda also known as Meethe Chawal a sweet rice dish delicately flavoured with aromatic spices,dry fruits and lots of tutti frutti and nuts.Shahi Zarda is a very popular dish in wedding and special occasions like festival, celebration.
What Is Zarda?
Zarda is a dessert made with,rice,ghee, spices,yellow color,sugar and lots of tutti frutti and nuts.
It is basically for festival, wedding and served as dessert.
The meaning of zarda is the Persian word Zarda and it particularly mean yellow.
Because this sweet rice is yellow color, hence called Zarda.
What Ingredients Use For Zarda?
- Basmati Rice,Ghee,and sugar are the basic ingredients any zarda recipe.
- Whole spices like Green Cardamom,Cloves.
- Dry Fruit and Nuts like Walnut,Almond,Pistachio.
- Garnishes like lots of Tutti Frutti.
Step By Step Instruction
1.Boiling Rice-Wash the rice and soak in water for 2 hour.After 2 hour drain the water from the rice.
Bring water to a rolling boil in a large cooking pot.Add yellow food color.Add the drained rice to the boiling water.Cook the rice to 3/4 done.
Immediately drain the rice completely&spread it wide in the colander itself.Cool it down completely.
2.Roast The Nuts-Add ghee to a pot and heat it on a medium flame.Fry the nuts until fragrant,remove to a plate and keep aside.
3.Making The Zarda-Start by heating ghee in a pot.Add cardamom and cloves and roast for a minutes or so until fragrant.Add the cooked rice in the pot.
Add sugar,mix well,so that the sugar gets mixed evenly with cooked rice grains on a low flame,cook the zarda.
You will the sugar melting and some liquid consistency in zarda.Stir the zarda mixture occasionally.Cook until the sugar dries up.Cover and cook zarda for 20-25 minutes.
Once is no liquid consistency,thens spread the roast nuts over the zarda.
More Sweet Recipe
Shahi Zarda (Sweet Rice)
- 1/2 Kg Sella rice (washed and soaked for at least 2 hour)
- Water (for boiling rice)
- 4-5 Green Cardamom
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 tsp Yellow Food Color
- 1 and 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Ghee
- 1/8 Cup Almond (sliced)
- 1/8 Cup Pistachios (sliced)
- Tutti Frutti (Ashrafiyan) as needed
- Wash rice with water thoroughly and soak them in water for 2 hours.
- In pot,bring water to a boil.Dissolve yellow food color in water,add it to pot and mix well.
- Add rice and let them boil.
- Cook the rice until 3/4th done then strain & set aside.
- Add ghee to a pot and heat it on a medium flame fry the nut until slight golden,remove to a plate and keep aside.
- In a separate pot,add ghee,green cardamom and cloves and let them roast for a minutes.
- Add boil rice, sugar and mix carefully.Cover and cook until liquid dries up.
- Then spread the roast nuts and tutti frutti over the Zarda.
- Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Take out in a serving dish,add zarda and garnish with roast nut and tutti frutti.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories966
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 16.2g 81%
- Cholesterol 66mg 22%
- Sodium 15mg 1%
- Potassium 154mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.9g 8%
- Sugars 100.4g
- Protein 7.7g 16%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
- Curry Recipes
- Sweets & Desserts Recipe
- Custard Whip Cream
- Doodh Dulari Recipe
- Double Ka Meetha
- Gulab Jamun
- Gulab Jamun Recipe
- Lauki ka halwa