Zarda (sweet rice)Course: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Zarda is a traditional boiled sweet rice dish.zarda is usually made using the red,green,yellow food coloring and garnished with almond,pista,coconut.where as the zarda is made using various toppings including dry nut,khoya,chum chum.
Rice (sella) 1 cup (soaked for 4 hours)
Ghee 1/2 cup
Green cardamom 4-5
Sugar 12 tbsp or to taste
Kewra essence 1 tsp
Salt 1 pinch
Red food color 1/4 tsp
Green food color 1/4 tsp
Coconut (narial) sliced
Khoya 1/2 cup
Chum chum as your required
Water 8 cup
- Take a pot,add water,salt and boiled it and then add soaked rice and stir it and boiled it cook until rice are 90% done.after that strainer it and dry it.
- In 2 bowls,add 1/8 cup of boiled rice in each bowl,add red food color,green food color,mix well and set aside.
- In pot,add ghee and let it melt,add almond,pista,coconut,cloves,green cardamom fry the nut until golden color.
- Add remaining boiled rice and mix well.
- Add sugar,mix well and cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Add kewra water,mix well and then cover and cook for 15 minutes to low flame.
- Add green colored rice,red colored rice cover and simmer on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with,dry nuts,khoya,chum chum and serve.